Words & Music
Words & Music is a curriculum-based lyric-writing program that:
1) Creates in-school educational opportunities that address Common Core standards in language arts and music and contribute to positive mental health outcomes for 9,000 Nashville and Middle Tennessee students, 63% of whom live in low-income households;
2) Provides out-of-school programs to at-risk Nashville youth through partnerships with community social service organizations;
3) Trains more than 100 classroom teachers to effectively deploy Words & Music;
4) Connects students and teachers with professional songwriters.
Words & Music programming occurs year-round. School programs occur during the fall and spring terms and out-of-school intensives take place during the summer months. Annual programs culminate with Words & Music night each May. Programs occur:
1) At the Museum, with travel subsidies for Title I schools;
2) Through in-school songwriter workshops in Middle Tennessee;
3) In partnership with community-based organizations that serve at-risk youth in out-of-school time during the summer months;
4) Remotely via videoconference.