Urbano Project brings together urban teens and professional artists to ignite social change through participatory works of contemporary art and performance. Together we are developing future generations of artists and leaders committed to an equitable and sustainable Boston.
At Urbano Project urban teens from across Boston and professional artists collaborate across neighborhoods and disciplines to make contemporary art for social change. Home base is our exhibition and studio space in Jamaica Plain's Brewery Complex. Our core programs, Artists’ Projects and Urbano Fellows, support over 100 Boston Public School students or recent graduates yearly to become civically-engaged artists and leaders committed to breaking down barriers through art. Urbano's program objectives are to offer youth high-quality contemporary arts education experiences, facilitate creative youth development, develop a corps of positively engaged youth who serve as leaders in their communities, and promote civic engagement through public, participatory art that addresses the pressing social and environmental issues of our times.
All Urbano youth artists
- Participate in weekly sessions with collaboration from a professional artist/mentor and peers
- Participate in special workshops with visiting artists, activists, community organizers, and cultural workers
- Partake in a monthly all-program Assembly
- Collaborate to produce and host a professional-quality culminating exhibition, performance and public event
- Regularly participate in youth convenings, exchanges, public events, civic engagement activities, exhibitions and performances at Boston museums, universities, and community/cultural organizations
- Earn a stipend or paycheck for successful participation
- Have access to free, healthy snacks at every session
- Receive transit passes if they need them
- Have access to Urbano’s studio facilities and library/art book collection
- May receive high school credit towards graduation
- Are eligible to participate in special alumni exhibition and event opportunities
- Receive individual support for college prep and career development