NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD!
See below for links to e-books and PDFs
Attributes of Excellence in Arts for Change
A framework to enhance understanding
and evaluation of creative work at the
intersection of arts and civic engagement,
community development, and justice.
11 artistic attributes that address the potency of creative expression to embody and motivate change. Aesthetic Perspectives aims to inform and inspire reflection, dialogue, and rich description in use by artists, funders, evaluators, educators, critics, presenters, programmers, curators, and audiences.
- elevates aesthetics in civically and socially engaged art
- helps describe and assess the work
- expands criteria for considering aesthetics in Arts for Change
- addresses historical domination of Euro-American aesthetic standards
- promotes deeper appreciation of the rigor required for effective creative work
Includes an INTRODUCTION that explores rationale and context and the terms aesthetics and Arts for Change. For each of the 11 AESTHETIC ATTRIBUTES, you’ll find:
- pointed DESCRIPTION relating the attribute to Arts for Change
- reflective QUESTIONS to guide consideration of the attribute in Arts for Change work
- lluminating EXAMPLES of creative projects that exhibit the attribute
Offers a SUMMARY of the 11 attributes and rational and context for the framework.
Companion Guides (6 to 10 pages)
Written by respected peers, Companion guides for: Artists, Funders, Evaluators, Educators, and Curators offer ideas and insights to help these users APPLY THE FRAMEWORK to address their needs and interests.
NEW! Pittsburgh Artists Working in Community: A Case Study of Aesthetic Perspectives in Action (24 pages)
As Pittsburgh’s Office of Public Art (OPA) supports artists working in the public realm through residencies and cross-sector partnerships, this case study explores how OPA has used Aesthetic Perspectives as: an adaptable evaluation tool, a content-rich guide for artist inquiry and exchange, and an organizational aid to guide selection panels to discuss aesthetic qualities and equity.
A focused OVERVIEW of the 11 aesthetic attributes offers abbreviated descriptions and a sampling of the questions found in the full Aesthetics Framework
A poster for each of the 11 aesthetic attributes offers a VISUAL TOOL describing the attribute’s relationship to social justice and sample questions for use in teaching/training, funding panel processes, to guide dialogues and discussions of Arts for Change work.