artworxLA, formerly The HeArt Project envisions a world where all alternative high school students graduate from high school, thrive into adulthood, and propel all society with their unique creativity.
artworxLA combats the epidemic high school dropout crisis by engaging students in a long-term, sequential arts program offering a pursuable life path that inspires them to stay in school, evolve as unique individuals and flourish as creative adults. We achieve this by
- Creatively educating alternative high school teenagers with sustained arts exposure and immersion
- Connecting students to a network of peers, artists, cultural partners, higher education, creative industries, and supportive adults
- Investing human and financial resources around ongoing, persistent student and alumni support
Alternative high school students are intelligent, creative and powerful people. They possess the capacity to meet the highest expectations and are full of creative impulse.
- Art is indispensable, enables us to communicate, and inspires an empathetic society.
- Cultivating effective partnerships between artists, educators and community organizations amplifies our collective impact on the students we serve.
- Our society is stronger and more inclusive when our students have full and equal access to its resources and can contribute their own voice.
- Lasting change in our students and communities requires long-term investment.
- Successful work in the community starts with a creative, participatory and respectful artworxLA workplace.
- We expect our students to contribute their own voice to the city given full and equal access to its resources.